If your dog suffers from epilepsy or another health condition which causes seizures, you may be able to treat those seizures effectively using CBD oil.
This is an area of use which has received a significant amount of research. In this article, I will share some of these studies with you. I will then talk about how you can choose and administer CBD oil for dogs with seizures.
Research Supports Treating Seizures in Dogs With CBD
Let’s start by taking a look at the scientific studies which have looked into treating canine seizures using CBD.
As of the time of this writing, there is still not a huge amount of support, but this is because research into CBD effectiveness in dogs as well as humans is still in a fairly early stage.
- This study published in the Pet Behaviour Science Open Access Journal, and was conducted in Japan. It was reported that with CBD treatment, “the seizure frequency improved considerably and owners reported a positive impression.” The researchers also mentioned that CBD seems to be able to combat anxiety, and that this could be one possible mechanism of the reduction in epilepsy symptoms. The researchers do note that the study was limited by its small sample size.
- The American Kennel Club Canine Health Foundation has a strong interest in using CBD to treat canine epilepsy. A grant was awarded to a researcher at Colorado State University to conduct a study in this area. The dates listed under the grant are December 1, 2017 through November 30, 2020. The total amount of the grant is more than $356,000. You can view the details here.
- There is also human research on CBD for seizures. This paper reports, “For over a millennium, pre-clinical and clinical evidence have shown that cannabinoids such as CBD can be used to reduce seizures effectively, particularly in patients with treatment-resistant epilepsy.”
- The first cannabis-derived drug ever approved by the FDA is an oral CBD solution called Epidiolex, developed specifically for treating epileptic seizures.
If you continue conducting your own research, you will find additional studies and case reports to support the use of CBD for seizures in both humans and animals.
How to Choose a CBD Oil to Treat a Dog With Seizures
Even though there is an FDA-approved CBD product for treating seizures in humans, there is no such regulated product for treating seizures in dogs with CBD oil.
You cannot give a dog a human CBD oil product because the concentration would not be suitable, and could lead to harmful side effects (trace amounts of CBD in human products might overwhelm a dog).
Choosing a CBD oil for dogs with seizures is not complicated, however. You just need to choose a high quality canine CBD product from a reputable manufacturer.
Here’s what you need to look for:
- The CBD oil should be CO2 extracted. This process does the best job preserving all the beneficial nutrients from the hemp plant while not introducing toxic solvents.
- The product should only contain trace amounts of THC, and not in concentrations which would get a dog high. So long as the product has been manufactured specifically for canines by a trusted producer, THC should not be an issue.
- The concentration and dosage should be appropriate for your dog. This is based on your dog’s weight.
- If possible, purchase full-spectrum CBD oil for your dog. This will provide the benefits of the CBD as well as the other nutritious compounds which can be extracted from the hemp.
- Go with a product which has been grown and harvested using organic methods. But be aware that very few CBD manufacturers have an organic certification owing to regulatory hassles.
- If you are giving your dog CBD as a tincture or in a treat, pick a flavor which you know that your dog should enjoy.
How to Administer CBD Oil for Canine Seizures
Once you’ve purchased a CBD product to treat your epileptic dog, how do you administer it?
That depends on the form of CBD which you purchased. In all cases, follow the directions carefully in terms of dosing. Never give your dog more CBD than advised.
- If you chose CBD capsules, you can either insert the capsule in your dog’s mouth directly, or you can try mixing the capsule into wet food. Alternately, you can break them open and dispersed their contents into dry food. One more possibility is to conceal CBD capsules inside treats which are made for that purpose.
- Another option is a CBD tincture. You can administer this using an eyedropper. Ideally, the liquid should go under a dog’s tongue.
- CBD treats are another delivery option to consider. These tasty biscuits are delicious and fun for dogs to eat. For those which are extremely picky about capsules or tinctures, the treats may be a good alternative.
Where to Buy CBD for Dogs With Seizures
When your dog suffers from seizures, you are looking for an improvement as quickly as possible. To that end, I have compiled a list of recommended CBD oils for dogs with seizures along with comprehensive reviews of each. Visit the reviews page now to discover the perfect CBD oil product for your pet!